Thursday, September 06, 2012

Training for a Triathlon

So someone asked me the other day whether I was blogging while I was training for my triathlon. I haven't touched this blog since I gave up half way through Janathon (my trainer did try to warn me that exercising every day wouldn't work out so well).
Hold the phone... Did I mention previously I was planning on doing a triathlon? Well yes I am. I heavily suspect that I got the idea from my friend and my sister doing one. I then decided that, since I could swim and cycle a bit it was the challenge for me.I even started and completed the couch to 5k plan as I couldn't run for peanuts. So, after watching people swim over each other, crash their bikes and dress up as Big Bird, I decided the London Triathlon was the thing for me. Probably. I also decided to sign up for a training day to help me with my preparations.
Round about a month ago, I went off to the other side of London. I spent a day being taken through my paces, running techniques, nutrition and race tips, swimming and how and where to get on and off the bike in transition. That day I spent some time talking to the other participants. I realised that my swimming really wasn't my strongest sport after all (although I'd been swimming for all my life, front crawl is not my favourite or most natural of strokes). I also found swimming in open water with my head down totally disorientating. This was not good. I had eight weeks to my triathlon and for the first time I was worried I wouldn't make it round the swim. One of the other girls on that day mentioned they'd joined their local triathlon group. Now I'd thought about doing this several times but had been put off by the image of super-fit people who were really hardcore and far more able than me to swim, cycle and run.
I had contacted my local club, the Greenwich Tritons, previously. I was put off at that stage by the fact that the lady had come back to me to let me know that "We usually swim around 2800 in an hour" - I'm guessing that means metres, and given I normally "stroll" through about 30 lengths (round about 750 m) in an average session this seemed a lot!
My next post will be about how I got on at my first session and how I'm progressing now...

No comments: