Tuesday, July 25, 2006

No, I Don't Want to Give You £x a Week, Or Convert To Your Religion

It all started with the phone calls. Once upon a time people never got blasted at every turn with people trying to grab your money, although I might be feeling wistful here. Now we get someone at every turn. Phone calls are easy, as you can just hang up on them (if you don't want to be horribly rude to them as my father is). So are emails - delete (you can say that in a cyberman-stylee way if you like). One of the first ever crank calls I got was from someone telling me I'd won a trip to Florida. Sounds lovely, if it wasn't for the fact four hurricanes hadn't just torn through the entire state.
spam Even spam is nicer than emails that tell you you've won $1 million but you will have to pay some "transfer expenses" to get it. Ha.

Now we have the group of people in town all wearing similar bibs all trying to grab your money. If you miss one, then you're more than likely to be hit by the next. Yes, I know that you're just trying to support the aged or the pandas or people in Africa with no water but all I want to do is go into town and be LEFT ALONE. If I wanted to give money to these people I would do it when I had a moment at the computer. I made the mistake of stopping to chat to a Sustrans bloke. I know they do good work, but to be honest when I'm cycling to work of a Thursday, I don't want to be stopped and asked for money.
On Saturday, while I was washing up, I had to answer the door to a Jehovah's witness. I only know that because I was bothered by her before. I told her I was busy and held up my froth-filled hands. She asked me whether I would like her to come back and go through the bible or something with her. Sigh. I really did want to ask her whether I really wanted to join a religion where only 144,000 of the members are elegible to go to heaven but I couldn't be bothered to argue about religious matters on a Saturday morning with soap suds in my hands.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I get fed up with being hassled too. But BT privacy has turned out to be cool, you get free caller ID and never get put on any lists or in any phone books. And if someone does phone, you get to be rude to them. I've tried asking people that call who they are and they never seem to know. How can you not know your own name, or who you work for?? People on the street I tend to blank, I'm most polite to big issue sellers out of all those that ask me for money. No way I'm giving my bank details to some weirdo who stopped me. And if they collect for a charity, it's always good to ask them how much they're getting paid - if it's charity work, you're supposed to do it to feel good, not for the wages... I think you'll find they all have targets and bonuses!

Keep up the behaving as you want to and not letting them sucker you in

Tone