Tuesday, March 21, 2006

Howl's Moving Castle (Review)

So last night I went to visit the SciFi group for the very last time. This is because they're all strange and I can't cope with their far-weirdness any more. Even if they do have good books, and show cool films sometimes.

However, I did get the chance to watch Howl's Moving Castle as a result. I've been wanting to watch this ever since I saw the trailer since I was such a fan of Spirited Away, which came from the same studio. Basically, my impression from the film was that it was all a bit random and didn't make much sense...

So, the good bits: I loved Calcifer (a random flame that kept the castle moving),
calcifer
The dog was cute too, although reminded me a lot of Mutley as it kept wheezing...
dog Here's the dog, along with the kid that wasn't explained and the really random scarecrow...

The random bits: The girl in the film would go from young to old and back again without much explanation, apart from when she put herself down she would get old.
The ending was extremely fast and definitely did not make sense.
The bloke spent the entire time wearing these really horrible earrings (Men with earrings = Nooooooooooo!)
howl Take them off! Please!

So, not as good as Spirited Away. Even more random (as Spirited Away involved what appeared to be a young man going out with a small girl, Howl's MC seemed to be about a young man going out with an old biddy). Bizarre.

2 comments:

C said...

I've been wondering about this film. I have the book but have only read part so far. I enjoyed Studio Ghibli's My Neighbour Totoro and Kiki's Delivery Service. I've seen part of Spirited Away and need to see the rest. Have you seen Castle in the Sky?

I agree about the earrings, LOL!

Hilary said...

You should finish Spirited Away. It's great. Sadly, I haven't seen any other of the Studio Ghibli productions but will try and catch them sometime...